Thursday, December 25, 2008

Working on Christmas

I've been in the Television business since 2002, and since 2002, I've had to work every Christmas, except for one. I didn't work last Christmas, and that was a gift in itself to be able to be with my family on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

This year, I sit inside the newsroom at Channel three in Chattanooga, and I wish I could be home with my family. My mom passed around the phone this morning and I talked to all my family at her house...my mom, stepdad, grandmother, my sister and her husband, my brother and his fiance. And it was great just getting to hear their voices.

But for the first time I actually enjoy the people I'm spending Christmas with. The people I work with here are so great, and I have actually enjoyed today, even though I've had to work. The crew that's working today are the "newby's"...all of us don't have the seniority, so we have to work while others get the holiday off. It's the nature of the business, the news must go on.

But we're not the only ones...I went into Waffle House today, and those poor people were so busy! It seems everyone went to get a late breakfast at Waffle House this morning...there were so many people in there, and I found myself feeling sorry for the people working there. At least my job isn't as demanding as there's today. Holidays are usually pretty easy in the news business. So, thank you waffle house workers for making my food today.

I say all of this to say--enjoy your time with your family and friends this holiday season...and Thank God for all the time you get to spend with them. Because there are some who can't be with their families on the holidays...as for me, I'm heading to see family tonight.

No comments: