Monday, November 13, 2006

Mondays and Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today is Monday. I hate Mondays. Yes, I know I've said that before, but I really do. I moved my training session to Mondays. I think it's good, because that's something else I hate to do, as much as I need to do it, so it just makes sense that I would do it on Mondays.

Last night, I went to drama practice. When I got there, I discovered that the drama leader wasn't going to be there. He put the practice in the hands of another girl. That didn't upset me. What did upset me was that he knew he wasn't going to be there the week before and he didn't tell us. I am a journalist. I like to be informed. I don't like things being sprung on me the last minute. And I felt like we didn't get much done.
Don't get me wrong...I enjoy this drama group. But if I am going to only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep on Sundays to go to practice, then I want it to be productive. Plus, I was tired and didn't feel like being there anyway. So, last night at work, I was not very useful, since I was so tired. I did, however, get my show finished. And I think it looked pretty good, too.

I ran a story this morning that I really love. They are building a national monument to Martin Luther King, Jr. in Washington, D.C. I think that's a wonderful thing. He will be the first African American to be honored in that way. And I really think he deserves it. So many people in this country are still very racist. It became very evident to me when I went home for my class reunion. I watched and my heart broke as the blacks and whites separated themselves from each other. Everytime we were seated...it was the white section and the black section. It is just natural for people in my home town to do that, but it broke my heart. I've been told by several people that it will always be that way there, but I pray those people are wrong. Since I've been away from Gordo, I have learned that color is only skin deep. What matters is who they are on the inside. King had a dream. And some of his dream has happened. People have rights, no matter the color of their skin, but people in the deep south still have their prejudices, and it's not only against blacks and white. It's against hispanic, chinese, indian, you name it! I pray that God will open their eyes and let them see people for who they are.

No comments: