Thursday, November 06, 2008

A Special Visit

I am so excited! Nearly 15 years ago, I went to Camp Smile-A-Mile as a counselor for the first time. My brother had been diagnosed with cancer not long before, and I decided to be a counselor at the camp he had grown to love. So, I went, scared, not knowing what to expect. When I got there, I met a very special young lady. Valerie was seven-years-old when I first met her. And she and I instantly hit it off. After that year, I was her counselor every summer until she became a teenager and moved on to the teen cabin. I, of course, stayed with the little kids. But Valerie and I were able to stay close all these years. When I lived in Huntsville, I got the chance to visit with her a lot, since she only lived an hour from there. But since I moved, I haven't seen her that much. However, we stayed in touch.

Well, Valerie, I am happy to say, is all grown up now, and cancer free! And, this weekend, she is coming to visit me here in Chattanooga! I am so excited, I can barely contain myself. When you go to these camps, you tell yourself not to get too close, because they're all sick. But Valerie grabbed my heart on the first day. I am so glad she did! So, I am looking forward to my weekend visit with Valerie--just a month from when she graduates from college!

No comments: