Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Within My Heart- By Tamera Alexander


I just finished reading the book "Within My Heart" by Tamera Alexander, and I have to say, I really enjoyed this book. The story takes place in the 1800s in Colorado. THe book has two central characters The first is a woman who is trying to raise her two sons alone, and survive, after her husband is killed. Her father was a doctor and she was able to learn a lot from him, which helped her care for others when needed. The second character, a doctor who, for some reason, decided to move out west and offer this town medical care. The doctor very quickly falls in love with this widowed mother of two, but she won't have anything to do with him. SHe thinks he is arrogant, plus, there's no way she is going to allow herself to fall in love with anyone else. Her love died. After she is injured, she begins to see things a bit differently, and this opens her to possibilities that she never dreamed of.

This book, for the most part is very good. IT explores the possibility of love when you feel that has been taken away from you. It also explores friendship. The reader is also taken through tragedy and hardship, but in the end, even after all of that, the main characters survive...a bit stronger than before.

Don't let the first chapter fool you...keep reading. I really felt the first chapter just didn't belong in the book. It takes you WAY back in time, and truthfully, it's not engaging at all! I felt this "memory" could have been added somewhere inside the context of the book. But overall, a very good read.

Bethany House provided me with a copy of this book for my honest review.

.

No comments: