Sunday, February 13, 2011

"A Billion Reasons Why", by Kristin Billerbeck


Katie is a strong-willed, red head, who is determined to live a solid, happy life for God. She's "almost" engaged to a man that she sees as the perfect man for her. There are 'a billion reasons why" she should marry Dexter... mainly because he's safe. Just when she's getting comfortable with the life she's made for herself, a blast from the past comes back into her life. Luc broke her heart years ago, and she's been running from that heartache ever since. Luc, though, isn't going to let her run from her past anymore. Katie is now living in California-- a far cry from her New Orleans roots. Luc convinces Katie to go back to New Orleans for his brother's wedding. Confronting her past is hard. It means confronting her mom, who she hasn't seen in years, dealing with the death of her father, which she's ran from, and with Luc-- and everyone who knows what he did to her. This trip back home causes her to not only confront her past, but it helps her find her future.

Kristin Billerbeck is one of my favorite authors. I have read several of her books, and I love that she can make me laugh and cry all in the same book. It's like I'm watching a movie, as vivid as she makes the story. This book was no different. I found myself in Katie in several spots of this book, and it made me laugh with her and cry with her. It also spoke to me, as I related to Katie in so many ways. It takes a special book to get some of these reactions out of me.

There was something I really didn't like about this book as well. Billerbeck used a lot of pop culture items in this book. For example, she made reference to "The Bachelor" several times. Pop culture is good, but I don't think it belongs in a book. I love books, and what I really love is their ability to transcend time. If you include pop culture, then people reading these books in 20, 30 years may not understand the reference. So, you must be careful using pop culture when writing a book. I do, however recommend this book to the readers of today, because you will understand the references, and it's just a must-read for any lovers of chick-lits.

I was provided a free copy of this book by BookSneeze, for my honest review.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A very good review Nicole

Brooke said...

I loved this one too. I hadn't thought about all of the pop culture references, but you're totally right. It definitely dates the book. :)