Monday, February 14, 2011

Go Away, Valentines Day!

Ugh! It's my least favorite day of the year. It's a day where (mostly) men spend ungodly amounts of money-- buying their special someone candy, flowers, carriage rides, you name it. Then they get in the car and head to an overly crowded restaurant, where they way for an hour or more to get a table--all in the name of love. Seriously people! Why do you do these things? First of all, Valentines Day is just a commercial holiday. It's made up! Why can't you, instead, go to Wal-mart, and buy those beautiful flowers (which I do love)for a fraction of the price than the florist... and put them in a vase yourself? Why can't you have a nice dinner at home and avoid the crowd? That to me says love a whole lot more!

Secondly, shame on anyone who uses Valentines Day as their only day to gift the person they love. This should be an every week occurance! Flowers should come several times a year, not just Valentines Day.

I am a strong believer that the only good Valentines Day does is brings attention to people who aren't part of a couple that they're single. And that tends to make people very sad, depressed even. I'm over that. It used to affect me that way, but not anymore. I just don't like Valentines Day...I learned this a few years ago, when I actually had a boyfriend. He did everything right for Valentines Day (in the eyes of everyone else). He ordered candy from my favorite store, he had flowers and a teddy bear sitting on my desk when I got to work, and he took me to a fabulous restaurant, where the food was amazing, but pricey. And the evening wrapped up with a carriage ride. Yes--perfect. But I can only imagine how much he spent on all of that--and I had nothing to show for it a week later.

So please...celebrate Valentines Day... but then celebrate "just-because" day in March... and "I love you day" in April. Get the picture?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Some of the wisest words I have ever read. Hugs :)
Odie