Sunday, February 12, 2006

Hit by a Mack Truck

I made it back from South Carolina yesterday, but I tell you, I feel like a Mack truck ran over me! LEt me start from the beginning.

I worked all night Thursday night, because I wasn't able to take any time off at work. For one, I don't have any vacation time saved up yet...and even if I did, couldn't have taken it because we are in sweeps and no one is allowed to take off during sweeps. So, Iworked all night and then got ready and went to the airport Friday morning.

Well, something happened with the plane. They said there was a crack in the nose wheel and they had to get it checked out before we could take off. That put us getting out of Pensacola an hour late! So, when I arrived in Charlotte, my connecting flight to Greenville had already left! Can you believe it! So, I went to the special services desk and explained to her how I NEEDED desperately to get to Greenville as quickly as humanly possible. She put me on stand-by on the next flight (which was 2 hours away) and booked me on the final flight (which was about 4 hours away). Remember, I worked all night, and by this time I am exhausted. But I made the next flight...barely! They called my name, and I boarded and they immediately closed the door!

I arrived in greenville at 5:30. I was supposed to be there at 3. When I arrived, they were in the middle of the desk test with the anchor candidates and meteorologist. So, I got to watch most of that. Then we all went to dinner. They took us to this restaurant where everything on the menu was over $16. I have only been to expensive restaurants a couple times in my entire life! They ordered two bottles of wine and appetizers...then we ordered our meals. I couldn't believe how the other half lives. It was amazing.

While we were eating, I sat next to the news director and chatted a bit about the job. She was basically interviewing me while we ate. But it was very comfortable because everyone else was there and I didn't feel like I was singled out. I hardly touched my food. You have to remember, by this time it was like 8 or 8:30 and I had been awake since 9pm the night before. So to eat when I am that tired is a major feat.

So, after we finished eating, I said good-bye to everyone at the table, except for the executive producer. He and I went back to the station and conducted the interview. But it was unlike any interview I had ever been to. We just talked a little while...and watched the 10:00 news. Then it was the moment of truth. I asked him if there was any reason he felt I would not be able to do the job. And he said he could not think of one reason why I couldn't.

That made me feel good. I really feel like I have the job, but it hasn't been offered yet.

So, he finally took me to the hotel at about 11:00. I had been awake for more than 24 hours! I walked into the hotel and WOW! They put me in the business suite. I had a mega king-size bed...a desk and chair, a lounge chair with ottoman, fridge, microwave, coffee pot, iron and board, and a speaker in the bathroom that ran from the t-v. Oh, and the shower head was one of those adjustable heads with the massage on it! It was the best hotel room I had ever stayed in! Too bad I was too tired to enjoy it. I took off my shoes...I had been in those heels since 8:30 that morning...and got into my p-j's. I called my mom to tell her how everything went. Then I watched the final part of the olympic opening ceremonies. At about midnight, I was in the bed heading off to dreamland.

Now, I thought the day went really well, but when I got up the next mornign, I felt like I had been run over by a mack truck. I hurt all over and talk about exhausted! I got up and went to get breakfast (provided by the hotel), then I got ready....put the heels back on and met the executive producer outside at 11am. I gave him the application he asked me to fill out. He told me it usually takes about 3 days for everything to get processed. Then I asked him when I would know about the job, and he said by the middle of the week. Gosh I hope I get it!

After I got the the airport and checked in, I went directly to the bathroom and put on some jeans and some flats! My feet hurt so bad!

I arrived back here on time...I have to admit I was a little worried with that snowstorm coming in to the carolinas that I would get stuck there, but I am home and all I have done is slept since I got here. But if I get this job, it will be worth it. I have to say I love their product and I think everyone I met was so nice. IT was amazing. I really hope I get this opportunity.


Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it to NC, meet with who you were suppose to, and made it back.

I will be praying and hoping that you get the job.

jamleah said...

I'm praying Nicole! What an adventure!